Sunday, July 01, 2007

Are they fake or are they real?


Very busy week spent doing a dozen different unrelated things, in the end it looks like nothing got done. That is no way to proceed with everything that I have to get done! It seems like life is hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait. I seem to be reflecting or anticipating. I need to live more in the moment. Its so hard trying to figure out what's most needed in reality, what needs my immediate time and attention, what will figure itself out and whats best left entirely alone. Prioritizing has always been a problem with me.

My hayfever is really out of control. I am either clawing my eyes out or have medicine head without a care in the world! The packing and finishing the trim on the house is going so slowly. I need to list a bunch of free stuff on freecycle but I just don't have time to sit and do it. I fidget too much in front of this screen, like there is something else I should be doing, much more important than writing. HA! Like there could be something more important?

I finished the novel by Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind and even though he has the whole trilogy written they are only releasing one book a year. SIGH! I would have waited. I hate reading a book that is part of a trilogy only to find out I have to wait years for the finish. Robert Jordan's Wheels of Time series should have prepared me, alas, it didn't. I read so much to prepare for Area Coordinators meetings and tutor trainings, secretary and Spiritual Assembly consultation matters, planning and development of teaching plans and programs and personal growth I really enjoy the fantasy novel genre of Tolkien, Jordan and now Rothfuss. I got into the Pern books for a while and then, suddenly, I can't remember why, they lost their "magic".

I am also reading Sherman Alexie's Flight! That man is brilliant. I have to watch Smoke Signals about once every other month, which is he wrote the screen play for and is directed (Chris Eyre, Klamah Falls) and produced by Oregon natives. It is a marvelous movie, excellently written and acted about Couer d'Alene Indians leaving the reservation for the first time in their lives for a cross country road trip. John Wayne's teeth ya ho, ya ho. John Wayne's teeth ya ho, ya ho. Are they fake or are they real Are they wooden or maybe steel?

6 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

I find Alexie's films to be very raceist. I can no longer watch them.

Anonymous said...

I think maybe you're thinking of someone else. He's only had three films: 49, The Business of FancyDancing and Smoke Signals.
http://www.fallsapart.com/


49 explores the Indian Musical Style known as a “49”. The film also screened at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, the 2003 1 Reel Film Festival (Seattle), the 2003

The Guy Who Writes This said...

It was his film that they showed at the Columbain a couple years ago. He was there for it. It was total raceist garbage.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to grill you I am just having a hard time comprehending its the same man. Like I said, he's only had 3 movies. Two on dancing (although Fancy Dancing is more about being an indian who is gay), 49 is about a style of dancing, and Smoke Signals is by no means a racist garbage. Its a story about the tradition of oral story telling being the history of the people. So, I'm just confused as to which one could be considered racist.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Fancy dancing was the one where he returned to the res for a funeral and how all his friends hate white people. Had this film been made where you replaced all the natives with white people that demonstrated the hate for another race the film would have been black listed. It was a raceist film. Reverse discrimination is still discrimination no matter who is being hateful. Many people feel that it's OK for them to hate us because we did screw them over, but hey, I never screwed them over. Why hate me because of my skin color.

Anonymous said...

I just went and read about it. I think I can understand what you are saying. I am going to rent the film and see what I feel. Thank-you for the heads up.