Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Fun Day at the circus




Today was a funnnnn day!

Had a bad night with a back ache. I have to get to the doctor but am too busy and never remember until two in the morning when I can't sleep because my back hurts too much but hate taking anything for it because of medicine head or oversleeping but then 4 am hits and I think what can one pill hurt? One midol, one tylenol pm, ahhhh and BOOM! Sleep through the alarm clock and its 9:15 AAAACK!

No time for any last minute look at the notes or anything! Jump into shower, clothes, car and make-up. And barely make it to the meeting at 10 am. Yes, 10 am. It is a looooong meeting and it is probably going to go all day. I stayed for the first budget items which included the DA's budget. I am just not going into what I said again here. See Dried Salmon or NCO or Daily Astorian's forums for my opinion. Needless to say, after the way I have personally seen how Mr. Marquis treats children and women my feeling is he only is in it for the media.

I appreciate that people see different sides of one another and I think that is great. Very few are pure evil or pure predators. I only knew the Domineys of the 20 something who spoke for the Commissioners to ignore their budget committee's recommendation. Only two others spoke in agreement with the budget committee's recommendation.

Bob Green and Joe Bakinen talked to me after the meeting. Bob told me some good stories. Very funny guy, he is!

I left my notes on what I wanted to say on the kitchen table but did have a notepad in the car so was able to grab it to jot down some figures that I remembered and points I wanted to make which got garbled with some rebuttals to what the 12 or so pros had said who went before me. It was lopsided and hard. I understand what that these meetings are long so have to be conducted when they are but so many people can't just come. Only one person mentioned how they took time out of their work day to be there. Everyone else that wasn't a volunteer mentioned they were a retired this or that. A couple of people, especially the Domineys, mentioned that they were grateful for the raging crime spree that Marquis has somehow managed to stem. !?!?! I have no idea what that even means. Where was I during the crime
spree?

You listen to Marquis and these people and you wonder how our county gets voted the in the top 10 to live in the United States by any standards if it all hinges on one elected official.
Sigh!

This tearing down process is draining. I much rather build a community than be a part of it disintegrating. It really made me sick to my stomach to watch Jeff Hazen's face change color as comments were made. Yes, he's an adult and of course he knew what he was in for. It still doesn't make it easy to watch. Ann Samuleson and Patricia Roberts were very delightful to watch in action. They really like people and take care to acknowledge each person's efforts. I was most surprised by Richard Lee. I really liked Margaret, and who doesn't like Sally, really? But Richard? Will, he is his own person, that is for sure. But he was a very good chairperson, very courteous. A nice group of people. I wish them well.

11 comments:

Jeff said...

Carrie, I think I must have have a mild form of Rosasia, I wasn't aware of the redness of my face at the meeting. I did not get upset about any of the comments made.

Anonymous said...

She just said your face changed color ... not that it was red.

Maybe blue? Were you holding your breath too long?

Or white? Did you feel faint?

Maybe red, white, AND blue ... if you were feeling particularly patriotic.

LOL.

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
Thanks for going and speaking up.
You have every right to be angry, upset, bitter having to endure the DA insisting your family's children stay in an abusive home,you have come out of it with courage and determation and humor.
After reading your responses to the DA, I'd say you stand your groud with him quite well.

Anonymous said...

I second the above comment. I was not able to attend the meeting but heard one of the finest legal minds this county has ever known say that you did quite well in his estimation.

Anonymous said...

Thank-you!

Anons, you guys made my day.

Walter, your right. I think Jeff's face sort of went blue. :)

The Guy Who Writes This said...

This is what it looked like Blue Jeff

Anonymous said...

I like (love) your letter in Friday's paper.
You wrote how most of the citizens feel. Go girl go!

Anonymous said...

I like BOTH your letters!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, if you ever run for office in this county or???, know that you will have a lot of support!!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Jeff, having to hear all those mean people. We are so lucky to have such a fine group of commissioners who listen to the REAL people.

Anonymous said...

I heard she is only three years away from a JD degree but she hates law, says there is no justice there! Marquis runs again in three years. Hmmmm. Give her a HARD push!