Saturday, December 30, 2006

I WAS There!

So, I go at EXACTLY 3:00 pm and what I see is a pretty full coffee house with no place for a table of seven rambunctious bloggers to sit. I do not see boy wonder. I do not see mot's three and I have brought grandson with me. So, I am standing there, contemplating options when the barrista says, "Be with in a moment." And then, "Can I help you?" And I say, "Do you have a group coming in?"

He raises an eyebrow. A group of what? Ah, bloggers? I can't say it. I think I blushed. My family already gave me heck. Your going where? You have a play date with people who write online stuff? Like articles?

No, they write like an online journal. And its not a playdate.

That anyone can read? What is it?

Yes, anyone. Its coffee and talking.

Why, why would they do that? Talking about what?

Because, its a way to practice writing. Its a way to get good at it. Its a way to share. Its a way not to feel isolated. Its a way to survive here! Its a way not to drink the Koolaid! Its a way to make it through the rain! Its a way ... We'll talk about not making Koolaid.

Oh, so does that mean that since you were invited to go you also write about us, online, for anyone to read? What does drinking Koolaid have to do with it?

Yes, that's what it means. I write about "us". Koolaid is a term for people at the end of their rope, like I am with this conversation and the person talking to me.

Then, when the guy looks at me because I stammer out "a group" he says, "No, not that I know of." And I hang around a bit and of course how do I know if any of you are there besides wandering around saying, "Hi, are you a blogger?" I stomp back outside and decide you meant the other Astoria Coffee place (the Company). So, I go all the way down to the one by Geno's, which is closed until after the New Year's and, guess what? None of you are there! So, then I go all of the way back to the other one and then my grandson is sound to sleep in his car seat and I have lost the impetus to get him out of the car seat and back into the coffee shop as I circle the block four times trying to peer inside to see if I can see inside and suddenly be struck with an image that I must have seen on someone's website.

"I am pathetic," I mutter to myself. Then I decide that I have it on the wrong day and so I do my other errands and hurry home so I can check my email to see if I can still make it. Oh no! Not only was it the right day, it was the right time at the right place. SIGH! And now, insult to injury, I am getting messages of "sorry you couldn't make it" and "you were missed"! And while those are nice, I WAS THERE.

WHERE THE LELH were you all and did my family put you up to this?

ROTFLMAO!

We are trying this again! I pick the place and the time and nooooooo wende, we are not waiting a year!

6 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Wende and I arrived at the same time, moments before 3. We took the table right in front of the window. Mo3 was about a half hour late, and she had only the little man with her. I think with the acustics in the room everyone knew we were talking about bloggers.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I'm sorry we missed you. I chose that place because it was local and if people brought their kids it would be OK. I didn't bring mine because while he is a blogger himself, he was more interested in the movie he was editing at the moment. His dad works from home so he has a built-in chaperon! I should have explained I wasn't brining him.

As for another time! We should do it again. I don't know that I am the person to organize it. When I said "next year" I should have said 2007. I think you would be a great person to put this together again. :D I know there were several people who had last minute stuff come up that would love to come again.

I would suggest that you advertise it. I didn't do that, and it was a huge mistake. If I were doing this over I would open it to the entire blogging community and see who shows up. It's easier that way (all the personal emails, blog posts, and reminders were more than I had time for this December... can we say, "bit off more than we can chew!") Anyhow... my guess is, if you put a notice on DSM and NCO they would love to post that sort of thing. And I'll certainly be happy to advertise on my blog when you choose a date and time! :D

Again, I apologize for the confusion. It seems we must have just missed each other.

Blessings on your 2007.

CB said...

Oh, drat! I wondered if that was you. As I had said before, I am HORRIBLE remembering faces.

LOL, nice way to hand off wende! I will think on it. It would be great fun to see the bloggers we have in the area. Now, I will show my total ignorance. What is DSM and NCO?

scott said...

I didn't hear about the supposed blogger meeting, and would like very much to participate next time.

Please add me to the list if it is, in fact, to be open to all.

Thanks,

Scott Reuter
scottreuter@mac.com
(burningcorn, helloimaustbegoing, lacunariae, etceterae)

CB said...

Yes, "we" want it open to any blogger, is my vote. Finding a good time for everyone is the hardest part. Maybe a Saturday or Sunday afternoon?

Undercover Mother said...

I was there, with a little red-headed cherub on my lap.

Then I fell out of my chair. That was me!

Better luck next time!!!!!