Saturday, August 22, 2009

Not so fine

For NCO I edit stories coming over flash alert, sort of like a police scanner for the computer. One of the things I fear, as these stories come across, is seeing a tragic story of a loved one. Late last night Cowlitz County Sheriff's department posted a near drowning at Yale Lake, in the Cougar Campground. The victim appeared to be our cousins' daughter.

It was 12:45 am and not the time to be calling anyone so I went to facebook, first, to see if any family on that side were up. No one. Then I sent a text to closest sister-in-law who texts. Not expecting a reply until morning I was startled when a text came back asap. She asked for details and I gave her what had been released so far. She said she would check it out as soon as she could, but odds were it was cousin's child as age matched and she lived in Vancouver.

With this morning's update we learned our cousins lost their child. She was 24 years young. No one understands exactly what happened, yet. At the beginning of this month we celebrated our 30 year reunion with these cousins, last weekend it was their parent's 60th wedding anniversary and by the end of this month we come together, again, for a funeral.

This week was a bad one, for me, on looking at humanity. Lies wisp out of mouths, gathering like a plume of smoke, and then suddenly dissipate. Who told the lie? Where did it come from? Who knows? Sadly, I am pretty sure I do. Waiting for PIRs to come in. Small hope holding out, I may be wrong.

So much to report on this weekend. All the good that is going on in our community: Air Fair; Miss Virginia Walk; Miss Vivian Contest, Trap Door story telling; The Oney's BBQ and, yet. I just want to curl up in a ball and weep. News overload. No room left for anything more to enter.

3 comments:

JM said...

I am so sorry my friend...I lost the daughter of a close cousin back in 2000, due to a drowning in Estacada. So sad. My thoughts will be with you and your family. Call me if you want to talk or get together.

Anonymous said...

Condolences Carrie, it seems so very unfair. I'm so sorry this tragic thing happened especially so someone so young and beautiful and no doubt full of life. For the longest time our family seemed immune from deep sorrow. Relatives died but it was always after long wonderful lives. Then one afternoon that all changed and we lost four young loved ones in one fell swoop. From that experience I learned many things but the two most important were; 1) it's always better to express heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved than to think of reason not to bother them and 2) accept the fact that big families are double edged sword sometimes. Of course there is so much joy, but there will be some sadness to temper all that joy. I know you know all that but I had to say something. -P

CB said...

Thank-you JM! See you soon

P~ So true! At today's (or actually, yesterday's) funeral the family was saying how much more tragic this would be without family, and how badly they all felt for those who go through something like this alone. ALL of them said this. I was so amazed that at a time like this they were so caring of others.

Julie and Ed were/are wonderful! They looked well. Very sad, but, you know, as if they had come to some sort of peace. They held one another through much of the ceremony. So good to see that in a couple!