Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Busy, busy, busy



SO much to do and little time to do it in!

Convention in three weeks. We have most of the details mapped out. In between doing convention work I have been helping to plan the wedding for our third youngest daughter with the same people who are helping to plan the convention. I truly hope we are not confusing any details!

On top of that I am planning something else. A truly awesome something else that is making my heart thump so fast I think I am having a heart attack and makes me think I am insane, but at the same time is thrilling.

And then there is actually doing some reporting, investigating, researching and coming upon some astonishing finds all the while ignoring the pressing interviews that I have been promising to get to when life will just slow down a little tiny bit so that I can get to them.

Each thing that I am doing is so utterly fascinating that I get a bit annoyed when another facet of my life encroaches in on it. I love convention. I love the time of year it is as it prepares us for the holiday season that for my family stretches from Oct 20th to May. Literally every month has a holiday in it, October on out. October starts with convention. When we don't host it, we can go and come back. This year, we run it. Then the rest of the month. October 20th the Birth of the Bab, a big celebration for us and then Halloween, minor but we already have a of decorations for it. Nov 12, Birth of Baha'u'llah, another big one. Then, Thanksgiving followed by the Day of the Covenant and the Ascension of 'Abdu'l-Baha, all in November. December, in our family we acknowledge the celebration of Christmas and decorate for Chanuka and Kwanza as well. We have Christmas Eve with friends and a potluck and a rousing game of "Alliance White Elephant" gift exchange.

In January we do New Years and with the sports fanatics here I have to admit they do "celebrate" Super Bowl Sunday. February sees the beginning of Ayyam-i-Ha and March brings in the Fast and ends it with Naw Ruz, our New Years. April has two Holy days, the First and Third days of Ridvan, and May has three, the Third day of Ridvan, the Declaration of the Bab and the Ascension of Baha'u'llah. And then, nothing until July.

Whenever I am sitting "still" I am knitting, for gifts, for the various holidays and holy days. Forget birthdays and anniversaries, at least I always do as my husband so kindly reminds me. Interspersed with all of this is the monthly Parkinson's support group meetings, the monthly Spiritual Assembly meetings, the quarterly Cluster Coordinator meetings, the weekly study circles, and I do believe that at sometime my husband and I instituted a mandatory "date night". I think we forgot to state that it must be with one another, alone, with no discussion of work, children or community affairs because I can't remember when we did just that.

In a few weeks hubby and I are to spend 10 glorious days in the "wild" of eastern Oregon. Not alone. In a one room cabin. With his sister and her hubby. And his brother and his son in an RV parked near by. But, we will have bikes and a canoe. And we will have the outdoors. And we will not have children. And I won't believe it until the fifth day we are there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love you. i too wish the week had 10 days instead of 7, but once again be careful for what you wish for.
today was 8 hours of foreign language, don't ask, teacher meeting, pick up huge boxes from "arnolds" didn't fit in van-will have to get truck tomorrow, 7 min. online trying to figure out my fantasy football, no luck; ran to wamu to see if i should withdraw all my money, one stop shopping at bartells for milk,1/2&1/2,wipes and ziplocks;(I could do a commercial for them.) onto soccer clinic, carpool, home for bath, dinner, and homework. 15 hours of being up and tomorrow is my "fun???" day. my child asked for an extra hug tonight and said i was the best. that's what it's about. here is an extra hug to your sister, love ya #4

Anonymous said...

I love ziplocks! Wasn't that the coolest that you can get project bags THAT BIG in ziplocks! When mom brought those out I swear I got tears in my eyes. I stared at the contents for about ten freaking minutes in AWE!

I went and got DUCT TAPE today and another five gallon jug of water! I have ziplocks, duct tape, bleach and 15 gallons of water and feel almost totally ready for winter. Back room is full of canned goods. Even smoked goods. I have some laying hens waiting for a home and then we have fresh eggs (depending on how long I keep a light on for them) and after I go over to Washington to fill five gas cans full for the generator and the propane tank (now that 4-131 is voted down I'll never get a gas line in so instead get to have propane tankers on the highway, YIPEE) filled I'll really be ready for winter.