Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dinner 'n a Movie!

Blades of Glory showed up today in the mailbox. Thank-you Netflix! Nachos w/deer burgers and a movie tonight with the family, that's a great way to spend the evening! Will Ferrell is very, very funny and teamed up with Jon Heder the two just have me in stitches the whole way through. It had to be a hoot to be on set with these two and the sight gags just make you weep they are so dang funny. To even imagine such an out of condition body on the ice making those graceful moves that Ferrell is supposedly doing as Chazz Michael Michaels, the bad boy of ice skating, is really one of the key pieces of making this film so enjoyable for me. My grandson really got into the rock music Michaels is supposedly skating to. Heder is exquisite as Jimmy MacElroy, the perfect skating artist who doesn't know what real life is. In the opening scene, where it shows MacElroy skating as a four year old, my grandson pipes up, "Oh, that's big boy (his name for himself) having fun!" Sappy maybe but it added to the good time.

Went to Ratatouille at the Columbian Sunday night with the eldest, the middle, the boy and the hubby and laughed the evening away. I like the set up at the Columbian and you can't beat the price for a night out. The movie was cute and funny and one I'll probably end up buying for the home archives. Saturday I bought Whale Rider, a great movie about a Maori girl who must ride a whale to prove to her grandfather she is the rightful next chief. It is done almost, but not quite, documentary style with a mix-in of oral tradition.

Last night's in house movie was Shooter which was good but depressing. I want to stay naive and feeling like that sort of thing doesn't happen. Oswald acted alone, no one is left behind in battles, we don't fight wars for oil and politicians only run for office because they want to contribute back to their community.

Friday night Bart and I went to Coaster Theater to see Wally's Cafe. While the "reviews" promised a lot of laughs we only had a chuckle or two. Darn it! We really like the theater, too and loved See How They Run. This cast just didn't seem to be enjoying their roles, or it just wasn't meshing together for me. Maybe my imagination was just off but I couldn't get past the feeling that they were just actors acting in roles. In See How They Run you forgot they were actors, or at least I did. Wally's Cafe and River Theater's 12th Night both just seemed forced (although Patrick Webb does make you forget he is anything but Malvolio).

And that's what our week in the movies has been! Who needs stinking movie channels? I know we don't!

No comments: